IMF urges Government to reform Governance, Procurement and to tackle Investment Obstacles

09 Nov 2017
Government needs to remove Investment Obstacles

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) said on Wednesday that SA’s subdued economic growth of just 0.7% for 2017 was not likely to improve much next year. A delegation from the IMF was in South Africa between October 30 to November 8 to discuss recent economic developments. In an ‘end-of-mission’ statement the delegation’s head Ana Lucía Coronel said the IMF thought it unlikely that economic growth would pick up next year.

“Despite South Africa’s institutional strength and favorable global conditions, increasing domestic political uncertainty and stalled reforms point to a challenging economic outlook,” said Coronel.
“Some sectors, including agriculture and mining, are certainly generating growth, but other key activities have stagnated or declined, as investment decisions are being postponed or abandoned.”

Subdued Growth

Coronel said that SA growth would recover only gradually in the medium term unless the pace of implementation of structural reforms accelerated quickly enough to prompt a clear recovery in business and consumer confidence.

“Against current structural constraints, the envisaged growth upturn would be insufficient to reverse the ongoing decline in per-capita income and generate enough jobs to absorb the growing labor force,” she said. She noted further that slow growth and “inefficiencies in public enterprises” had taken a toll on SA’s public finances by generating revenue shortfalls. These tax revenue shortfalls were highlighted in Finance Minister Malusi Gigaba’s October mini-budget.

“Due to lower than expected economic growth this year, gross tax revenue for 2017/18 is projected to be R50.8bn lower than projected in the budget," said Gigaba, when he presented his mini-budget statement in Parliament. The finance minister added the budget deficit was expected to widen to 4.3% of GDP in 2017/18, far higher than its target of 3.1%. “Gross national debt is projected to reach 61% of GDP by 2022, with debt-service costs approaching 15% of main budget revenue by 2020/21,” said Gigaba. The state’s total revenue shortfall, over three years, may reach R209bn, based on Treasury predictions.

Improve Governance

Coronel advised the presidential fiscal committee that reforms to improve governance and procurement practices and "remove any obstacles to investment” were essential. “Special emphasis should be placed on prompt implementation of sanctions against deviations from the Public Financial Management Act to increase deterrence,” she said, adding that the early announcement and timely implementation of a strong adjustment and reform plan should be a state priority to restore investor and consumer confidence. “This would increase competition in key markets, reduce input costs for households and businesses, and, in turn, lead to a virtuous cycle between economic growth, job creation, and inequality reduction,” she said.

Readers Comments

Michelle Huxford | Sat, 13 Jan 2018 00:48:18 +0100
ALL THANKS TO UPSTART LOAN AM NOW FINANCIALLY STABLE . upstartloan@yahoo.com I am Michelle Huxford from Casper, Wyoming. I was in a very chronic financial issue and terminal health situation some few weeks back. After all my search for assistance from friends and neighbors proved abortive, I feel there was no one who truly cares. I became so emaciated due to lack of good food and my 2 kids age 5 and 8 were not also good looking due to lack of proper care as a result of finance. One faithful morning I saw an old time friend of my late husband and I told him all I have been going through and he said the only way he could help was to direct me to a good loan agency that also helped him, He explained to me on how he was financially down and how he got boosted by this loan agency UPSTART LOAN INC ( upstartloan@yahoo.com ) who grant him 245,000 USD loan at an affordable rate. He further assured me that they were the only legit loan firm he found in the quest of seeking for loan after been scammed by various fake loan lenders online. He gave me their email: upstartloan@yahoo.com or text/call (574) 301-1639, That was how i applied and was also granted a loan and my life changed for the good. CONTACT THE ONLY GENUINE LENDERS( UPSTART LOAN INC) VIA email: upstartloan@yahoo.com or call +1 (574) 301-1639 to resolve your financial mess.
Daan Sophia | Mon, 05 Feb 2018 07:32:18 +0100
FINANCIAL BREAKTHROUGH Life indeed is GRACE, I'am Daan Sophia currently in California USA. I would like to share my experience with you guys on how I got a loan of $185,000.00 USD to clear my bank draft and start up a new business. It all started when i lost my home and belongings due to the bank draft I took to offset some bills and some personal needs. I became so desperate and began to seek for funds at all means. Luckily for me I heard a colleague of mine talking about this company, I got interested although i was scared of being scammed, I was compelled by my situation and had no choice than to seek advise from my friend regarding this very company and was given their contact number, getting intouch with them really made me skeptical due to my past experience with online lenders, little did i know this very Company "PROGRESSIVE LOAN INC. was a godsent to me and my family and the entire Internet World, this company has been of great help to me and some of my colleague and today am a proud owner of well organized business and responsibilities are well handled all thanks to Josef Lewis of (progresiveloan@yahoo.com).. So if really you are genuinely in need of a loan either to expand or start up your own business or in any form of financial difficulty, i advise you give Mr Josef Lewis of Progressive loan the opportunity of financial upliftment in your life Email: progresiveloan@yahoo.com OR Call/Text +1(603) 786-7565 and not fall victim of online scam in the name of getting a loan. thanks
elijah roland | Fri, 16 Feb 2018 13:12:27 +0100
Hello Do you need a loan? Are you interested in getting any kind of loan? Are you in financial crisis? Or do you need a loan to pay off your debts and bills and startup a new business? We give out loans at 2% interest rate, if interested provide the details below via email: elijahloanfirm@outlook.com Details needed to startup a loan processing Full name: Country: Amount of loan needed: Loan duration: Monthly income: Phone number: Note: All responses should be sent to this email : elijahloanfirm@outlook.com
Mike Fisher | Mon, 27 Aug 2018 02:08:58 +0200
Hello friends, i want to share my testimony on how i got my BLANK ATM card which have change my life today. i was once living on the street where things were so hard for me, even to pay off my bills was very difficult for me i have to park off my apartment and start sleeping on the street of Vegas. i tried all i could do to secure a job but all went in vain because i was from the black side of America. so i decided to browse through on my phone for jobs online where i got an advert on Hackers advertising a Blank ATM card which can be used to hack any ATM Machine all over the world, i never thought this could be real because most advert on the internet are based on fraud, so i decided to give this a try and look where it will lead me to if it can change my life for good. i contacted this hackers and they told me they are from Australia and also they have branch all over the world in which they use in developing there ATM CARDS, this is real and not a scam it have help me out. to cut the story short this men who were geeks and also experts at ATM repairs, programming and execution who taught me various tips and tricks about breaking into an ATM Machine with a Blank ATM card.i applied for the Blank ATM card and it was delivered to me within 3 days and i did as i was told to and today my life have change from a street walker to my house, there is no ATM MACHINES this BLANK ATM CARD CANNOT penetrate into it because it have been programmed with various tools and software before it will be send to you. my life have really change and i want to share this to the world, i know this is illegal but also a smart way of living Big because the government cannot help us so we have to help our self. if you also want this BLANK ATM CARD i want you to contact the Hackers email on Mike Fiser . Email : blankatm001@aol.com
Kovacs Irene | Fri, 31 Aug 2018 01:41:05 +0200
My name is Irene Kovács from Croatia, I contacted Mrs Susan James Financial Help Company for a business loan amount of €50,000.00 euro Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 2 hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you to contact Mrs Susan James via email:susanjamesloanfirml07@gmail.com or susanjamesloanfirml07@outlook.com or via-Website:https://susanjamesloanfirm.wixsite.com/loan-officer or Whats-app her Number:+1(587)206-1157
robert hernandez | Sun, 14 Oct 2018 23:39:19 +0200
I got my already programmed and blanked ATM card to withdraw the maximum of $1,000 daily for a maximum of 20 days. I am so happy about this because i got mine last week and I have used it to get $20,000. Mike Fisher Hackers is giving out the card just to help the poor and needy though it is illegal but it is something nice and he is not like other scam pretending to have the blank ATM cards. And no one gets caught when using the card. get yours from Mike Fisher Hackers today! Just send an email to blank.atm.hacker2@gmail.com or whatsapp +1(854)888-5997
Mills Dachin | Sat, 20 Oct 2018 22:14:40 +0200
Hi Guys i am the Master of blank ATM cards which can withdraw money from any ATM machines around the world.It all depends on how fast you can be to get the new PROGRAMMED blank ATM card that is capable of hacking into any ATM machine anywhere in the world. Are you in need of money, do you want to pay some urgent bills or do you want to increase your financial status.That you can withdraw at least $50,000.(fifty thousand USD) Every day, keep on pumping money into your account. Though is illegal, and there is no risk of being caught, because it has been programmed in such a way that it is not traceable,it also has a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTVs to detect you,so hurry up. And more are you suspecting your Husband/Girlfriend/Boyfriend/Wife is cheating on you and why sudden changes behaviour towards you. SMILE ! SMILE ! SMILE and relax yourselves and your mind, in world of Hacking this is what I do *Facebook Hacking Tricks * Database Hacking * G-mail/AOL/Yahoomail/ Inbox Hacks *Control Device Remotely Hack *University Grade Hack *Wiping of Credit Cards, Increase Credit Cards Hack *Breaking Security Code All you need do just E-mail:- pointekhack@gmail.com
Bill Johnson | Thu, 15 Nov 2018 15:11:18 +0100
Getting a legitimate loan have always been a huge problem To clients who have financial problem and need solution to it. The issue of credit and collateral are something that clients are always worried about when seeking a loan from a legitimate lender. But.. we have made that difference in the lending industry. We can arrange for a loan from the range of $5,000.00 USD to $500,000.000.00 USD as low as 3%interest Kindly respond immediately to this email: billjohnson.loanfirm011@gmail.com