Visitor Visa

Visitor Visa

Visitor Visa for Tourists

For tourists from visa-exempt countries such as the European member states, the tourism visa will be issued under the new Immigration Regulations 2014 at the boarder against return flight ticket for a maximum period of 90 days. Tourists from other countries need to apply at the South African mission (embassy, high commission, consulate) in their home country.

Visitor Visa with the Authorisation to work

The short-term work visa known as “Section 11(2) Visa” is used for temporary work without receiving salaries locally. This visa can easily to be obtained but now requires submission of a full application which is to be done in person to the nearest South African Embassy, High Commission or Consulate abroad. The applicant will in turn be issued with a letter from DHA. This visa cannot be obtained anymore at entry of South Africa by merely producing the confirmation letter.

The processing times for Section 11(2) Visa across all missions abroad is rather short in comparison to other temporary visa and should be completed under one week. The Section 11(2) Visa is usually granted for up to 90 days and – special circumstances permitting – may be extended only once for another 90 days without leaving the country.

Visa Extensions

Tourist Visa can be extended, provided the extension application is submitted already 60 days prior to expiry.

Visitors, who receive their visitor visa at the border or port of entry, section 10, and who leave South Africa for a neighbouring country will only get the remainder of their original visa upon re-entry. If the visa has expired in the meantime they will not be issued with another 90-day visa, but only with a seven-day visa, section 11(5).

Expired Visa

Any foreigner, who attempts to depart the country after his or her Visa has expired will no longer be fined, but declared “undesirable” in terms of section 27(3) for a period of between twelve months and five years depending on the time passed since visa expiry and the number of previous transgressions in this regard. A submitted extension application and receipt thereof are not sufficient to prevent this measure, although the Cape Town High Court has ruled and declared this provision illegal as far as life partners of South African citizens or permanent residents are concerned.

This practice is already in place at the South African airports and it is advisable to contact Into SA prior to the attempt to leave.